picture adapted from an image in The Biology Coloring Book, illustrated by Cinthia Vadala

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

"Sick and tired of god-stuff" shared blog post



Sorry if I come across as the "angry atheist" today. Ninety-nine percent of the time, I happily coexist with people of various religious backgrounds. Sometimes we even learn something from one another, and I really enjoy it. Many of my Christian friends give me the same respect that I give them...we are not trying to "convert" each other to another way of thinking, and we focus on our commonalities instead of nitpicking at our differences.

At other times, I find myself dumbfounded by lack of respect (often the other person doesn't even REALIZE they are being disrespectful or coming across as extremely judgmental). Earlier this week, I was given the oft-touted sanctimonious proclamation of "I'll be praying for you" that I've received from many PoF's...simply because I don't believe the same things they do. It's implied that my belief system is a reviled illness that needs to be cured or "prayed away."

In light of my frustration and the fact that I am currently fed-up with the double standard, I read a blog post that resonated with me today...and I thought I'd share. The take-home message is this:

So yes, I am sick and tired of god stuff. Sick and tired of god-stuff always being thrust into the middle of everything. I don’t care if you believe in one or twenty gods, I’ll even drive you to your church if you need a ride. I’ll fight for your right to attend the church of your choice. But I expect you to give me the same respect as a person that you demand from me, and which I willingly give you. That is all I expect. Is that really too much to ask?
Check it out:

No comments:

Post a Comment